(who, what, where, when, why, how)
In this age of information, you don’t need a hefty budget to have an effective digital marketing plan. All you need simply is a clear vision and objective for your business. Manier times we are not even sure where to start and what to do. With unclear goals, we lead unsuccessful marketing plan. These basic starter questions will help you take initial steps in marketing your business online. The who, what, where, when, why and how of your prospects will help you decide a better course of action. And these crucial questions will give you enough information to plan and execute an effective marketing strategy and achieve your business goals.
1. Why – Why is the first step of any digital marketing initiative. Why choose digital marketing? why do you want to do this piece of marketing? why these social platforms? why AdWords? These questions will give you a clear objective of your business. Without asking yourself why, you won’t have a clear understanding of your goals.
2. Who – The most important W of the 5W’s is ‘Who’ because other the other answers will be based on it. To implement an effective online marketing strategy, you need to be aware of your prospects. You need to know who your target customers are, who are those people to whom you are marketing, who are you trying to reach. By knowing who are your audience is, you can market your product at right time with the right message at the right place. Knowing your customers is not enough, you also need to know who are your competitors. So that you can learn as much as you can from them. This will give you a bigger picture of your marketing campaign.
3.What – Sometimes we are so focused on creating an amazing product or providing an amazing service that we forget what really matters, and that is what is your customer or your ‘who’ looking for? Many a time businesses will focus to create an outstanding unique product or services first and then think about the who’s (target customers). But the truth is that you must first define your target customers and then create a product or services based on their needs. So ask yourself these questions – what is that your target customers wants, needs and desires? what website do they use? what makes you stand out from the crowd? what are your usp’s? What can be your offerings ? what services or products you can create? what is your business all about?. Ask these questions, think about them and define your business.
4. Where – Once you are clear with who and what, you can start to think of where. Where will you find your who’s? Where are your customers ? where they spend most of their time? Where they can find you? Where are you trying to reach them? Think of all websites where you can find them. Since you know what your customers want (videos, podcasts, Images, etc) you can start your promotion with a platform which is famous for it. For example, if your target loves videos then focus on youtube and create rich content.
5. When – When to target your customers? when to use a particular platform? when to post a particular ad or article? when is the right time to run campaigns? Timing is the key here. You need to test out all the possibilities and take your decisions accordingly. You can time your marketing with other trending events or festivals which are relevant to your product or services. This way people will associate your services or product with positivity and excitement of the particular event.
6. How – The last question to ask yourself is how. How are you going to do it? How are your going to reach your message to your prospects? This is the time where you have to decide which platforms will be more cost effective and time saving for you. For example: If your business depend on visuals to sell, like clothing or accessories, you should consider instagram to post appealing content.
With all the required information at your hand, you can successfully plan an efficient marketing plan. This will help you and your team to have clear goals so that you can work towards it together.